Out of the Ashes - a raku fired ceramic phoenix breaking out of egg shell

Raku fired ceramic sculpture of baby phoenix emerging out of textured burned shell on stand
Just before I graduated high school, we had the chance to have some of our ceramic sculptures Raku fired. One of the results of this opportunity was this sculpture of a baby phoenix just after it had broken through the shell of its textured egg. The texturing on the egg itself was actually done with the bottom of the handle to the clay tool I used to carve the bird head. To give the piece more visual appeal, I threw the base on a potter's wheel as a separate part for the egg to sit upon. Unfortunately, time was not good to the sculpture and during a move the head broke off the sculpture irreparably leaving only this photograph remaining.

Materials Used: Raku fired Ceramic
Dimensions: 9" x 4" x 3"
Year Created: 1998
Status: Destroyed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About Me

My name is Ben. I'm an illustrator, industrial designer, and inventor that specializes in... making stuff look cool. When I'm not preparing inventive advertising or drafting eccentric products, I find time to restore 1940s industrial equipment.

Recent Posts